Friday, April 3, 2009

Springtime Tips for the Frugal Gardener

Hit the Library. If it’s your first year gardening, go to the library and pick up some gardening books. My favorite is Mel Bartholomew’s Square Foot Gardening. A square foot garden is easy to set up and maintain, which is why I like it so much. You can pretty much use the same methods in a container garden, too. By reading information on gardening, you’ll be more confident about your gardening abilities.
Talk to Fellow Gardeners. For the last couple of months, I’ve been talking to gardeners that I know at church. Not to get anything from them, but to learn from them. What I found, though, is that fellow gardeners love to share, both information and supplies. Now I know who to turn to when I have a gardening problem. And as a bonus, one of my friends gave me some containers she wasn’t using! Friends can also be a good source of plant cuttings, if you are adept at starting new plants from cuttings. I’m not.
Learn to Compost. Compost makes great fertilizer, and if you make your own, it’s free! I’ve been saying for a year that I’m going to learn to compost, and I’ve finally begun. We have the beginning of a compost pile in our backyard. Eventually I’d like to try a neater method than the “compost pile,” but this is working for us right now.
Save Extra Seeds. Mel Bartholomew talks about this in Square Foot Gardening. If you keep your seeds in a dry, cool place (such as in a jar in the refrigerator), they will still be usable next year. By using the same packet of seeds for two or three years, you can really cut your seed budget in the years to come.
Start Small. If this is your first garden, don’t overdo it. It’s better to have a small, successful crop than to feel overwhelmed and quit on your gardening project. When I first started, I grew a few tomato plants. The next year I added strawberries and some beans. Last year I grew about 8 different vegetables. And this year I’m up to about 12. Learning to garden is a process, so go slow.

Read more: beingfrugal.net - http://beingfrugal.net/#ixzz0BdOTcGYf

No comments: